What Is An Addon Domain?
An addon domain is a fully functional domain that can be created from within your control panel. Think of it as having multiple domain all sharing the same control panel. You can create email addresses, forwarders, and more — the same way you do for your primary domain on the account. The only difference is that the files for the primary domain and the addon domain(s) share the same control panel and server.
How Do I Create An Addon Domain?
To create an addon domain name, kindly follow the steps below;
- Ensure the domain name you wish to add is registered.
- Check if your nameservers point to it's hosting account if not,
- Change the nameservers to our nameservers guide here
- Login to your cPanel, click Addon Domains under Domains.
- Enter the desired domain name.
- There are three fields cPanel asks for when creating an Addon Domain
- New Domain Name: Enter the new domainname.com, but do not include HTTP or WWW in the name.
- subdomain Name: This will be the folder cPanel creates in your public_html folder. Normally, you want to ensure the name you provide does not already exist as a folder in public_html, but cPanel will automatically suggest the name and we recommend you stick with the suggestion.
- Document Root: cPanel automatically suggests the name recommended.
- FTP: If you wish to create a separate FTP account for the addon domain, you can ticket the box. This is optional.
Once these fields have been filled, click on the Add Domain button.
Your new domain has been successfully added! You can upload the website files to the specific addon folder which was created in the public_html folder.